Tuesday, June 19, 2007




in a couple of hours, it will be my daddy's birthday. the most hardworking, tolerant, patient, silly-willy, lame-o daddy there is on earth.
his hard work, his sweat, his blood and his tears all were shed and are still being shed for his three daughters. ensuring that they get the education they want, get the clothes they want, get the lifestyle they want.
sometimes life doesn't seem fair to such a good man. a man who has worked so hard for the better part of his life. but it never breaks this man's spirit. he continues to persevere. he continues to plough through the tough times and in the end, comes out victorious. even if only for a short time.

i used to hear stories from my mother about how my daddy would drive me around in the car if i couldn't be put to sleep. he would go round and round until i would finally doze off and then he would put me to bed.

i remember also how he would push me around in a pram all over the city of Kuala Lumpur when i was a little girl every weekend to take me shopping. i guess that's why i shop so much now...heh.

i remember all the little sesame street toy figurines he bought for me while working in Singapore because he knew i loved them. and also the sesame street wall picture he painted which hung in my room for the longest time, until we shifted house.

i remember there was one time my daddy got really sick with dengue fever and stayed at home for a few days. i had never seen him so sick and so weak. as a little girl, i was so worried that i would lose him, i would pray every night for him to get better.

i remember the many times when i had very violent bicycle crashes, he would be the one that would clean my wounds. the first aid box he bought in the UK while studying emptied for my battle wounds.

i remember standing before him whenever my report book came out and if i didn't do well, he would take out the cane and give me strokes on my hand. i knew it was for my own good and i know that it must have hurt him more than it hurt me to discipline me in that way.

i remember disappointing him many, many times and making a mess out of my life in many ways. but i also remember how he would forgive me and give me second chances, always advising and guiding me in any way he can.

i remember the saturday mornings where he would knock on my door and wake us up to go for breakfast. often having to wait for sometime before all of us were ready. the same way he would wait patiently whenever we would take forever to dress up if we had somewhere to go.

i remember coming home late at nights when the whole house was asleep and he would suddenly appear from his room as i walk up the stairs. bleary eyed and sleepy faced, he would ask why i was home so late and that i should have called.

i remember the little books and devotional material he would give me to ensure that my faith and that walk with God would be secure. and his little mini sermons he would share whenever we had family prayer sessions.



daddy...here's to you. have a wonderful birthday. i love you.

No comments: